- Adaptive Reuse Multifamily Housing
- 33 Residential Units
- Completed - 1994
This project, winner of a Preservation Award from the Massachusetts Historical Commission, involved the conversion of a school into 33 units of affordable housing. The school was built in 1887 and expanded with a 1906 addition. No changes were made to the original building exterior beyond reconstruction of an original entrance canopy, repair of doors, repair and replacement of exterior windows, slate roofing, wood soffits, and masonry cleaning. Historically significant interior features such as the entrance hall, wainscoting, wood trim, and stairwells, along with two-story arched windows and attic spaces, enhance the design of new living units. The building is in the National Register McKnight Neighborhood Historic District and the project was financed with historic tax credits.