This project has transformed a downtown Hartford landmark into a distinguished new residential property. Known as the Judd & Root building or the Professional Building, it was designed by New York architects Kimball & Wisedell, completed in 1883. Its fine terra cotta detailing was featured in the 1884 catalog of the Boston Terra Cotta Company. It has been converted from office space to 63 one-bedroom apartment units. The first floor has remained commercial space, while the upper 5 floors have become market-rate apartments. The replacement windows have been removed and replaced with customized windows designed to fit each level, including arched top glass on the third, fourth, and sixth floors, to replicate the original windows depicted in historic photographs. The intricate terra cotta on the exterior have been preserved, and the lobby retains the original marble staircase and brass letterbox. Additional space has been added to each floor by reclaiming space that was once an elevator shaft. Converting the building from office space to apartments meant working around odd spaces, resulting in about two dozen unit layouts. A fitness center and community room are on the second floor along with some apartments. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Both State and Federal Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credits were utilized on this project.