The Parkville Industrial Historic District is a significant architectural and historic example of mid-nineteenth to early twentieth century residential, industrial, and commercial neighborhood development. Parkville’s growth surged forward as new industry established itself along Hartford’s Bartholomew Avenue after the turn of the twentieth century. By 1906, this included the Whitney Manufacturing Company located at 237 Hamilton Street, Hartford, CT. Like the entities that proceeded, the Whitney Manufacturing Company was of great importance in Hartford’s history producing an array of machine tools. Such growth required the construction of a new four-story, 226-foot by 60-foot brick plant in 1906, and later a five-story, 60-foot by 80-foot addition to the original plant in 1910.
The proposed project and adaptive reuse of the former Whitney Manufacturing Company building will pay homage to the building’s and area’s industrial past, while aiming to become the new hub of advanced manufacturing for the geographical region. The redevelopment of the factory space signals the start of a grander transformation of Hartford’s Parkville Industrial Historic District. Sections of the building shall become representative of a larger vision and community atmosphere built around three core ideas; live, work, and play. The proposed plan consists of a ground floor space allocated for business, mercantile, and restaurant use. Floors two through five contain a mix of residential apartment units. Additionally, numerous residential amenities will be provided such as fitness and business centers, smaller event spaces, a large interior community room and outdoor roof terraces.