The J.R. Montgomery Company Industrial Complex is a former textile manufacturing facility located between the Windsor Locks Canal and the Connecticut River. The brick and reinforced concrete style buildings date from 1891, 1904, 1920, and ca. 1939. The plant functioned from 1891 until 1989, making it a significant and long-tenured facet of Windsor Locks’ industrial heritage. The buildings are a major landmark in the downtown area and serve as a gateway to the community.
The rehabilitation of this complex involved converting three former industrial buildings into 160 apartments for households at varying income levels. The plan incorporated sustainable initiatives designed to meet applicable historic preservation standards. The Windsor Locks Canal State Park Trail is located along the canal and runs parallel to the buildings affording residents the opportunity for recreational opportunities. Its location downtown makes it a pedestrian-friendly community, located close to mass transit and within walking distance of the town center and many amenities.
The Town worked closely with the Department of Transportation and other state agencies to create a transit-oriented development study (TOD). The Town received $2,900,000 through the Complete Street program to redesign Main Street to make it more pedestrian- and bike-friendly and the DOT agreed to relocate the commuter rail station to downtown. The redevelopment of Montgomery Mill is an integral part of this effort. Overall, the redevelopment of Montgomery Mill is a catalyst project which will help incentivize and support other revitalization efforts in the downtown area.