The Capitol Building (1926) was designed by acclaimed architect Thomas Lamb as an office building. Its prominent location on Bushnell Park facing the Connecticut State Capitol makes it critical to the city’s revival. After a period of decline and 10 years of vacancy, the building was restored to its original grandeur and converted to a mixed-use building with retail on the street level, 70 units of studio, one- and two-bedroom housing on the upper floors, basement parking garage, and a green roof terrace. It was designed to create a supportive community among the residents with easily accessible amenities and transportation nearby. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this project used federal and state historic tax credits to help finance its restoration. Additional funding was through CHFA, DECD, conventional financing, and other grants.
The project achieved a LEED Gold green building rating from the US Green Building Council as the first LEED certified mixed-use building in Connecticut, the first LEED certified multi-family residential building in Connecticut, and the first LEED certified renovation using historic tax credits in Connecticut. It has the first green roof in Hartford and is the first affordable housing for families in downtown Hartford.