The Talcott Brothers’ Mill is the focal point of the Talcottville Historic District, a remarkably intact nineteenth century manufacturing village listed in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). The building, located at 47 Main Street in Vernon, Connecticut, is sited parallel to the Tankehoosen River. The mill consists of a 2-1/2 story wood frame and brick masonry building with shallow-pitched roof with cornice returns, a central stair-and-bell tower with an open belfry, and numerous additions added between 1880 and 1920. The conversion of the mill to residential apartments, commercial office, and warehouse space had its challenges, as each building was constructed using different methods and a multitude of unforeseen deficient structural conditions were present.
The bell tower, the most prominent architectural feature, is a local icon. For years, the belfry had been leaning, in danger of collapse. Stabilization was a particular challenge because of its weakened state and previous structural modifications that were not effective in preventing leaning. To correct the problems, the belfry structure was removed from the building and repaired on the ground while improvements were made to the supporting structure to accept the restored belfry.